Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tofu "Egg Salad"

I never expected I'd be posting a recipe but after trying a (vegan) tomato soup recipe I found at The Gardeners Cottage, it reminded me that eating well can be simple and delicious. I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian but I am severely allergic to eggs. This is a recipe I've developed for "egg salad." Everyone who's tried it likes it and I've even fooled a few people. I would recommend making this the day before as it allows the tofu to absorb the flavors of the ingredients. This is a great "faux" dish so I thought I'd share it.
Ingredients: Serves 3
1 package extra firm tofu
1 stalk celery
1 scallion (or diced onion, 2 tablespoons-ish)
1/4 cup Vegenaise (or mayo if desired)
1 tsp. dijon or yellow mustard
1 tsp. horseradish (optional, I rarely have it on hand)
1/2 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (also optional)
1/8 turmeric (makes the "egg salad" yellow)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
Drain the tofu and, if time permits, allow it to sit on a few paper towels or a clean dish cloth to pull more water out of it.
Cut the tofu into cubes. Part of making a "faux" dish is fooling the eyes as well as the tastebuds so you want to cut the tofu into pieces that resemble the size and shape of diced eggs. First, cut the tofu first into two layers. Then cut those layers into strips and finally into cubes. I try not to make the strips too parallel so the cubes aren't too perfect. Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Dice the celery and scallion/onion and add to tofu.
Add the spices, mustard, horseradish (if you have it), salt and pepper. Add the Vegenaise/mayo and mix everything together. It won't look very yellow at first; the turmeric needs some time to disperse. Note: All of these measurements are approximate. I never measure so if there's something you like, add a little more.

If you let the "egg salad" sit overnight, taste prior to serving. I find the tofu really absorbs flavors and it sometimes need a little adjustment of salt and pepper or a little more Vegenaise if you'd like it creamier.
And here's the final product: A nice piece of sprouted wheat bread, a few tomato slices, some fresh mixed greens as a bed for my "egg salad." Topped with some sliced scallion greens and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, it's the perfect lunch.

14 comments:

  1. I am so excited. I have everything on hand to make this for lunch today! Yippee.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming to you via Janet's post today. This looks SO delicious I've already printed it out. I do eat eggs but I love tofu.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Referred over from The Gardener's Cottage and this looks and sounds delicious. I have everything but the horseradish (which I think I'd like in this) so I'm making it! Looking forward also to exploring your blog. My husband and I are looking for an old house to restore--our eventual retirement home :-) so I can't wait to see what you've done with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfair! Not only do you have a stunning home, you've crafted the ideal lunch food! As a fellow egg allergy suffere/small house enthusiast, I salute you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also come over from The Gardener's Cottage and I must say that this recipe sounds really good. I am going to give it a try even though I usually don't care for tofu too much. I think with the all the added ingredients and letting it sit overnight, it will be delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can also do a great "scrambled egg" with tofu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice! I love that you are trying vegan and vegetarian. I'm neither one nor the other, but I don't feel like meat should rule the world. I definitely want to incorporate more of the delish recipes that Janet puts together. Looking forward to trying this!

    By the way, love your home and your styling. You've done a great job and you've got a great flair for accessorizing. I also have really enjoyed the local art you've showcased a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I went most of the summer without eating meat. If food tastes good, it doesn't need the meat and I don't even miss it.

    Thank you also for your very sweet comment about my house. That's very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve,
    This looks good here and at Janet's. I love eggless egg salad and by accident. I buy it at Whole Foods all the time, but the first time I bought it, I did not realize that it was tofu until I read the package after eating. For whatever reason I have never even thought to make it. Your bowl of chopped tofu and vegetables looks so pretty.
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun to find your blog via Janet! This is perfect as I LOVE egg salad sandwiches but I am always looking for faux egg ideas.
    Love your home...it is so grand, so grounded in an historic way. "...love what you've done to the place!" And you and I have the same duvet cover, the one shown in your master photo. Took me forever to find that fabric but found a huge bolt of it here in Southern California.

    I'll be trying this recipe tout de suite! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the note, Chris. I appreciate the feedback. That duvet cover was from Pottery Barn several years ago. Not sure if they still make it. But it was a great vintage print for sure!

    ReplyDelete