Sunday, February 7, 2010

Don't Do This.

It was only a week before my mom was to come for a visit that I decided I wanted to do my quick makeover of the master bedroom and bathroom for her. After a week-long burning-the-midnight-oil marathon of stripping old wallpaper, hanging new wallpaper, and painting into the wee hours of the morning, I decided to leave my paint tray and spent roller just outside the bathroom door to deal with the next morning.

This is what I woke up to:

I'm not sure why I thought my cats would have the common sense not to walk through the paint tray but apparently I gave them too much credit! I was furious--at myself for being so stupid and at the culprit for such a senseless act of vandalism--especially after I realized the paint was so dry it wasn't going to come off! I examined the prints of the suspected perps and conducted a few interviews but no one was talking. I had used oil-based paint on the floor and I had no time for a new coat to dry so I had no choice but to leave it until after mom's visit.

I guess you have to keep a sense of humor when you're going through this process. The perfectionist in me quickly "let go" of this as an accident. The footprints on the floor have become great conversation piece. I'll undoubtedly deal with this a some point when I do more major renovations but, for now, the "incident" has become part of the history of my old house.

5 comments:

  1. My obsessiveness would have gotten the best of me at this point! With an old house, you do just have to shrug some things off - like the 80year old dirt that oozes from the baseboards, settling so your trim no longer is against the wall, moans from the basement, howling from the windows, stain that you can't match....but I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Janet. I just found your blog via Me and My Yellow House. I love everything you have shown so far. Love the bedroom makeover. Love the wallpaper, you have a great eye for detail. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,
    So after the hard wood floor guy came and redid our kitchen floors, Lucy (our dog) decided to walk through the kitchen and make her 'stamp' of approval. Luckily, it wasn't the final coat so the stamps faded. ; ) Trina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would absolutely definitely happen to me and my cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I love the cat prints. :-)

    ReplyDelete