Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spiralized Zucchini Pasta with Pesto


In the summer heat, I'm always looking for creative ways to make dinner without turning on the stove.  Last summer I did a post on zucchini pasta made with my new spiralizer and I thought this might be fun to try on the grill.  It not only worked, I've had it almost every night since.


You can find a link to information on the spiralizer on the old post, but this is what it looks like.  These two medium-sized zucchini (courgettes for my friends across the pond) will make enough for my dinner tonight with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.


Raw zucchini "pasta."


I drizzled a little olive oil on the zucchini and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  I think I'll add a little pesto and chopped tomato for a fresh summer version.


A little grilled foccacia with garlic butter on the side sounds good too.

I always find it works best to grill bread when it's dry.  You've really got to watch it like a hawk on the grill.  It'll char in a few seconds.  I crush some garlic and toast it in a little olive oil on the stove and then add that to some softened butter.  Add the garlic butter to the bread after it comes off the grill.


I grilled the zucchini in a mesh grill pan.  I got this from Williams Sonoma a few years ago and it's great for grilling things like tomatoes, green beens, broccoli and Brussel's sprouts.

(This works equally well just sauteeing the zucchini in a pan. You can keep it a little al dente/crunchy or saute it a little longer so it's more like spagetti squash. )


The grilled foccacia with garlic butter, dusted with a little sea salt.

I could live on this! 


Once the zucchini is heated--it doesn't need to cook very long at all--I add about a tablespoon of pesto and one chopped tomato per serving. 

And dinner is served.

There will be some wonderful zucchini, tomato, pesto broth at the bottom of the bowl so be sure to save enough bread to soak it all up. 



What can I spiralize next?

35 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. We have plenty of zucchini and tomatoes in our garden now- I am always looking for something new to do with them. Will try it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that gadget is amazing. Your meal looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazingly good, Steve!! When are you inviting me up for dinner? I like the spiralizer, too. Let us know what else you make with that. It's lunch time, and I'm hungry....

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word: Yum!

    Okay, two more words: gorgeous photos
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely DELICIOUS, I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should drag my spiraliriliser out of the cupboard: this looks lovely!

    If you aren't expecting company (or if you don't want it)
    grill old French bread and rub a raw clove of garlic over the rough surface, no butter. Peasant heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Golly Steve - that look so good and sound so easy to make!! Even I could make it...

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds so delicious Steve. Ok what else can you do with that gadget? I'm dying to know because I'm not bbig on gadgets but this one I might need. I can't wait to try it out!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  9. How good is this?!?

    No...seriously spiral boy...is it yummy?

    Kinda fun...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous. When I saw the words "try on the grill", I thought now this I gotta see. Don't know that I would have thought of a mesh grill pan. I used to work at W-S and don't think I ever saw one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,

    What time is dinner? I'll bring the wine!

    am

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm really starving right now and reading this isn't helping the sitch at all. it looks and sounds so good. those spiralizers are pretty dang cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! I bought that spiralizer after I read about it on your blog and LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only do you decorate, but you cook too! This dish looks fantastic and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks great! I'm definitely going to pin that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks soooo good. The mesh grill pan--gotta get one of those. Your photos, as usual, are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I think I need a spiralizer too! Loving your food posts lately!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh to live in a place where it's too hot to cook!

    Looks delish. Enjoy it for all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!
    YOU got me eating brussel sprouts and now I'm gonna have to try zucchini.
    Will this madness never end?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im having an off food day and this is giving me my next craving. Where can I buy a spiralizer in Australia? Will doing lots of spiralizeded veges help diminish my spiral eyes from the meds? I may have to give it a go! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love it. i will be right over. last week david made a zucchini pizza (zucchini instead of dough for the crust) and we are major fans of spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta. we put pesto (fresh) on it. so i would love to try this...you will make someone a good wife some day.

    xo terri

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm always looking for great summer recipes and this definitely fits the bill. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    Best,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now I know what has been missing in my life.... a spiralizer! I even love the name!

    Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Steve,
    I just followed your link to the page showing the Spiralizer for sale... it's now $48.95!
    Before I order one, I have one question: do you know where (i.e., in what country) it is made?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Miranda,
    That's a hefty increase since I bought it and I'd swear it was $40 just the other day when I followed my old link.

    I don't know where it was made but I recall there being at least several spiralizers on Amazon so perhaps you can find ones at different price points and information on where they're made. I doubt the US. I recall there were a few that were REALLY expensive and I didn't want to invest $200 in something I might not use more than a few times.

    It's just like a good mandoline; Why are they so expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi again,
    I just called the manufacturer and was told that this is made in China, just as I had feared.
    I'm going to look for a similar product coming from ABC (Anywhere But China).
    Thanks for the concept, though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Steve,
    This looks fantastic...and sounds so good! I have a mandoline which kinda freaks me out...but this might just get me to break it out and make this dish. I think this might be your next Pinterest star! I especially love photo #5, but they are all great!
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is brilliant. I cannot wait to try it.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. It must be a terrific gadget for you to give it space in your compact kitchen. My rule of thumb is that I must use something at least once a month to keep it. Which, of course, I ignore when it comes to a few favorite cookie cutters. Even though we have eaten ourselves silly over the last few days of family reunion, your photos made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yummmmm! And so pretty too.
    happy weekend!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holymoly this looks incredible! I'd nix the focaccia (even tho it's a FAVE) and grill up additional tomatoes for a summer freestyle meal...Lo-carb and full of mad flavor! Incredible pics, totally pinning!

    Awesome blog btw!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks amazing, very creative! Gotta give it a try. Spaghetti squash might be similar? will try.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm catching up on your posts. This looks amazing - and so healthy! Beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete