Friday, May 3, 2013

Moving Day


Saturday was moving day.  Well, sort of.

I rented a U-Haul to make the rounds and pick up everything for the bathroom.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen some of these photos.
 
 
 
The warehouse for the plumbing supplies is in a really industrial area
alongside the Mass. Turnpike in a wonky building that seems held together
only by the 100 layers of paint.
 

 
Inside, you're taken to another time and location...
a place you might go to buy plumbing supplies if you lived
in "The Secret Life of Bees."  May might have hidden her
notes in the cracks of this old knotty pine wall.

 

 
It even had the girly calendar.  Who knew they still made them?!
 
I packed up my toilet, and sink, and faucets and lights...
 

 
...and was off to Darby Road to pick up my vanity table
where I admired the details of this beautiful pine chest.
 
 
 
And then buzzed back into Boston to look for a salvaged door
for the bathroom at Olde Bostonian.  It's not nearly as large as
Old House Parts in Maine but you might get lucky and
the prices are much better. I found the perfect door
with the perfect little lock for the bathroom.
 
And I drove home with my new bathroom packed in the van
and unloaded it into my dining room.
 
 
 
I couldn't wait to set the sink up on the table to see
what it might look like when it's done.
 
The wooden top will come off to make a lower shelf for
a basket or two of towels and I'll have a new top made out
of marble.  I still need to go look for a remnant.
 
(The sink will sit flat on the surface but there's a drain that's
holding it right now.)


 
And remember the toilet I chose with the clipped corners?
This is the top of the toilet tank that shows that detail matches the clipped
corners on the vanity table.  I'll have that replicated on the new stone top as well.
 
It's either utter genius or complete overkill.  I'm not sure which.
 
 
  
 
 
If you haven't already don't forget to leave a comment for the 6 Wilson pillow giveaway.
 
We will pick a winner at 6:00 Sunday Eastern time and will announce a winner Sunday evening.
 

34 comments:

  1. Using the table top as a lower shelf is a great idea — I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think all of the clipped corners will be overkill. Its a subtle, repeated element that I bet no one will notice but they will know that it is a really pulled together space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, it will all look amazing. I wish I could have sat in the passenger seat for the day and come along on the adventure. The sink looks stunning!!!!! I love the cool pared down look with the old table. And that matching edge detail on the toilet is a stroke of genius. Well done. It's going to look soooo good. Is it too soon if I arrive in June?

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. please. that table/vanity is KILLING me. this is gonna be good. yes, and great idea about the using the top as a lower shelf...donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool corners :) Can't wait to see it all come together in the bathroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you repeated the corner detail and what a great idea to use the top for a shelf...genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im thinking it's pure genius! Sounds like so much fun, I am thrilled for you. Hope it all goes well with the reno!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ack! i want that sink and table. i think you are a genius. and don't forget to pick my name in that contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is going to look great! Of course anything you do is perfection. You need to quit your day job and become a decorator. Thanks for the reminder about Carol's pillows...I must enter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see the finished project. We are wanting to remodel our master bathroom. I am busy pinning ideas. Love the table and sink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I miss something??? I think you're complete genius never overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I think we all agree it's utter genius.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have loved to ride shotgun...must have been a little like riding in Santa's sleigh :) I love the details...can't wait to see the big reveal and the sneak peeks along the way!
    am

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought the same sink! Mine is also mounted on a table. I used stone left over from building the fireplace as a surface. Also same idea you have, lower shelf for basket or towels. You are going to be so happy with your new bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those other home design blogs got nuthin' on your mad design skilzs, kiddo :)

    Love the design detail-3x is for exact emphasis, just like in writing .
    Well done.

    Are you painting? papering? looking forward to seeing all the details to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED "The Secret Life of Bees".
    :)
    Fabulous photos.
    and yeah, it's genius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creative design.

    And, yes, it`s the attention to the very smallest details that makes a huge difference !

    ReplyDelete
  18. love all! corners to die for! so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why....Utter genius, of course, clipped corner toilet boy.

    Utter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To answer your question - it is utter genius. The pics of the plumbing place are great - isn't it nice to see that places like that survive, paint-glue and all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is going to be great, so get moving on it so I can see the finish project! ;-)

    The pillows look wonderful and perfect for me.

    Mary from Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's called attention to detail and I love it. I hope it all goes quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well you were quite the busy bee (no pun intended) yesterday. Very anxious to see the end result. Bet you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That bath is going to be amazing when it's finished!! Will you be having guided tours- lol?!? Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not overkill. I'm going with Complete Genius. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My vote is utter genius....just sayin.
    This is gonna be good.

    ReplyDelete