Friday, May 28, 2010

Variance Hearing Day with a Quick Roadtrip


Yesterday was the date of my variance hearing. I was feeling a little nervous so, since my hearing wasn't until 8:30 p.m., I decided to carpe diem and hit the road to Cape Cod see Provincetown one day before tens of thousands of people headed to town for the summer season.

The town was up and running and the gardens were in their full spring glory.

This is the old entrance to the Provincetown Art Association and Museum. Hello Kitty!
This allium garden was ridiculous. I think there are about 100 of the purple beauties.
A sweet vista.

The reflection of a house in an art gallery window.
Cute little shops open for business.
A home furnishings store with great pillows....
...beautiful pottery...
...and, for you martini fans, a big GIN sign made from vintage advertising letters.
The famous Lobster Pot.
It was the perfect day for a long walk.
Between every house and shop are quick peeks at the fishing fleet...
...and pleasure boats....
...but it's gotten to be mid afternoon and need to head back to Cambridge for my hearing.

Normally I would make this a cliffhanger, leaving you to wait to find out the results but that would be mean. I did get my variance to restore the front porch but it was a late night while we waited for a hearing where 14 neighbors showed up to object to a developer's plan. It was interesting.

Hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day Weekend.

5 comments:

  1. hi steve,

    when in your opinion would be the best time to visit cape cod? and where would you stay? would you stay somewhere nearby with less crowds? you are now my official travel agent regarding this area. i have always wanted to visit this area for as long as i can remember. any tips you have would be welcomed.

    congrats on the variance!

    ~janet

    ps ~ of all the photos you posted, the red cottage/store was my favorite! i know, i'm as shocked as you are! i think it's the awning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    July and August is the time when everyone is there for the weather and, of course, the gardens would be best probably in July. But it's also the time everything is just packed with people. Early September is my absolute favorite time and June would be my second favorite just because I don't love the crowds. I would also recommend staying mid-Cape which I don't know that well; maybe Hyannisport or Chatham...maybe other readers have some recommendations...but this puts you in a central location so you can visit Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket in addition to the beautiful towns along the Cape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cape Cod although it's been many years since I visited.
    Congrats on your variance! Can't wait to see your porch in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i forgot to type in the word verification last time. Anyway, looked like a beautiful day at the Cape. Congrats on the varience approval, I'm really surprised at how quickly it all went. So, are you going to try to get it done this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    Nice photos of Ptown. I agree June & Sept. are the best months on the Cape. Wellfleet is my special spot (I was there this weekend) with the national seashore beaches, the kettle ponds, the harbor, great restaurants and the abundance of art galleries (Left Bank being my favorite.)

    ReplyDelete