Saturday, May 29, 2010

Quick Memorial Day Picnic Appetizer

A friend is visiting from out of town for the long weekend so I thought I'd have a few friends over for a little back porch picnic. I prefer to put most of my effort into the meal so I like appetizers to be quick and simple so I wanted to share an appetizer idea that can be thrown together in less than five minutes. This is a mediterranean layered dip.
First put layer hummus on a plate or shallow dish. I chose several of these smaller Moroccan dishes so I can set them on little tables around the porch, almost individual servings. I chose a hummus with kalamata olives in it.
Add a layer of tabouli. I usually make my own tabouli but the store brand is good enough for this appetizer.
Add a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese and you're ready to go.
Serve with pita chips and enjoy. I would suggest adding a bowl of marinated olives as accompaniment and you're now free to focus on your meal.

This appetizer is perfect for picnics because everything can be thrown in the picnic basket and easily assembled right on site.

Have a safe Memorial Day everyone.

5 comments:

  1. OOH! I'm going to a picnic dinner tomorrow and was asked to bring an appetizer. This looks like just the ticket. Happy you posted :).

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy...I could probably eat the whole bowl myself. I have all the ingredients so I think I will give it a try tomorrow for a little family picnic I'm having.
    Have a wonderful time with your guests! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heck with this as an appetizer, I'd love this for a light summer lunch with a glass of chilled Chardonnay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect. Easy and looks elegant too. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect appetizer for our next Central Park Picnic!

    ReplyDelete