Monday, May 10, 2010

Fabric Ideas for Pillows

Just in case you saw the post today over at The Polished Pebble, you're not having a deja vu. I guess today is Wendy Lewis day. When I saw Kelley's post, I thought I'd share few ideas I recently considered for a pillow I wanted to make for my mom for Mother's Day. When I saw this "MM" initialed grain sack with a flower in between at Wendy's Textile Trunk, I thought, Hey, that looks like it says "MOM"! My mom loves pillows and I thought this would make a perfect centerpiece for a pillow. So here a few options I considered for the pillow.
This red toile and the MOM sack were a perfect match.
Here were a few more nice complementary fabrics with a gray-green check that I think really worked with the palette in my mother's room.
Here was another option that I thought might work.
And here was the final choice. This softer color palette, minus the white, I thought was the perfect combination.
And here is the final product. Mom has a lot of things going on in her room and often changes comforters and quilts so even though there were a few fabrics being used, I thought this kept it pretty simple so it would work with almost anything.

The inside down pillow insert is covered in the floral and slipped into a "sleeve" that has the MOM grainsack on the front and gray-green check on the back with a simple tie on the side.
Mom is vacationing in Arizona so she hasn't seen it yet. I hope she likes it.

7 comments:

  1. You are so amazing...love it big time! and thanks for the shout out for me and most especially Wendy.

    xo kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...so did you put this together...as in...did you sew the whole ensemble...which by the way...looks so good! I'm sure she'll love it. What mom doesn't love a gift from the heart of one of their children. The more creative, the better. At least in my family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cushion, you are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. The covered pillow inside the sleeve is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi steve,

    let me get this straight. you made this pillow? by yourself? ok, i'm quite impressed.

    the fabric is gorgeous. love the grainsack fabric. it's perfect.

    what a son!

    ~janet

    ps~do you give lessons, not in sewing but in how to be a great son?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could claim that I actually sat down and whipped this out but someone sewed it for me. My mother and aunt used to sew everything so I know how to do it. I do have a sewing machine but it would have taken me weeks to make a pillow. I do want new pillow covers for my living room so maybe I'll dig it out of the basement and give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the sweetest thing I've seen yet! The grain sack is lovely and you picked the perfect coordinating fabrics. I'm sure she is going to love it - I know I would. And I know I would cry buckets if my son gave that to me! :)
    A sweet simple gift from the heart ~ just what a mother wants.
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete