(N.B. I'm having lots of formatting issues with Blogger today. I'm getting no new paragraphs so I'm tweaking in HTML.)
The first is about $21,000 higher than the budget I had set. Disappointing but not horrible. I had totally forgotten about painting the house so that extra cost is about half of the overage.
The second bid is $37,000 higher my budget. That's a big difference and that's a big problem.
The third has been promising since last Thursday that it's coming "tonight."
I got a little smug and told The Architects I was going to call a few companies and get a few of my own bids. That was four days ago and none of the contractors have returned my calls.
This is a big dose of reality.
So now I have to decide if the project gets put off or if I reduce the scope of the project.
Note to anyone thinking of buying an old house and renovating it: If at all possible, hire a contractor to look at the house and give you an idea what things might cost.