Monday, August 30, 2010

Marblehead, Massachusetts (Part 2)


If you missed my first post on Marblehead, Massachusetts, you can jump to it here.

On my walk up to the Old Burial Hill, this house caught my attention, not for the salmon-colored door, but for the meandering path to door.  Not only is it much more visually interesting, the path provides a direct view past the house to the harbor beyond.

Let's take a little walk down the driveway to get a peek.

View of Marblehead Neck
(Click photo to enlarge)

And here it is.  Can you imagine coming home to work every day and enjoying a nice glass of wine watching yachts and sailboats drift by?  Pure heaven in my opinion.



Right at the steps up to the burial ground, sits this house backed right up to the granite ledge which creates its own little enclosed space.  It's really unique.



If you've never had a chance to walk around an old New England cemetery, you're missing an interesting experience.  The imagery and narratives on the headstones are really quite intriguing.   This particular burial ground is notable for its huge granite ledges...




...as well as the wonderful views of the harbor these spirits get to enjoy.  There are many heros of the American Revolution buried here.



On my walk back down the hill, this is one of two entrances on the front of the house...



...and this is the other more ornate entrance.  It's not my favorite color scheme but the woodwork around the door is gorgeous.


I've collected a lot of images of homes with monochromatic color schemes.


I think such a color scheme instantly creates a historical look.



This is one my favorite all-green houses.



This almost medieval-looking door...


...is on the Ambrose Gale house built in 1663.  347 years old.



Just a little farther down Franklin Street, one of the "oldest wayes in towne," the houses almost meet in the street like good old neighbors.  I love the castle-like pattern of shadows created by the dormers.



I wander back and forth between the water and the center of town not knowing what to focus on.  Lights, hardware, shutters, paint colors...




or pretty gardens, windows boxes and pots.



Doesn't this street seem unreal?  Like something from the movie Pleasantville.   I didn't even realize at the time I took the photo that there wasn't a single car in the shot.


This house was built 1683.



Some of the shops downtown.


The flower store.


I love these doors made of planks with the wide wrought iron hinges.




On my way back to my car, I admire this handsome house in Washington Square.  Everything is impeccable and restrained.  I love the curved fence and, surprisingly, the lack of a front garden. 


Notice the louvered door.  It's unusual but seems appropriate.

I've had a wonderful day and look forward to coming back sometime to explore more of Marblehead.

Where should I go next?  Maybe Salem in search of witches?



6 comments:

  1. This seems like a wonderful place to visit. I love all the houses and the wonderful details. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow steve,

    i wouldn't have known what to focus on either. everything is so rich in color and history. i wanna go there now. i mean right now.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I notice is all the beautiful colors! I love the row of pastel homes ~ and people really get to live there....

    Also, how about all those BEAUTIFUL doors -

    I'll take the one on the edge of the rocks... but with the pretty pink door!

    Get me out of Nebraska!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. It is a dream vacation for me to go to New England, and I'll do it some day. I want to go in the fall when the weather is cooler and just amble around with my husband admiring the architecture and vistas. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Steve! I love Marblehead too! So glad you found it! You've been to Concord, yes?! And we've very fond of Carlisle, Ma (to drive and look at the fabulous houses)!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a resident of Marblehead, you often take the town's architecture for granted until the arrival of guests. While the storefront explanation of the cut corner on the Lafeyette house is factual, I prefer the story about his carriage. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete